Sunday 10 February 2013

Penne Arrabiata with Chorizo

This is an extremely mouth-watering dish that tastes as good cold as it does hot. I make a big batch up on a Sunday most weeks and take it to work with a salad for lunch all week - it never gets boring!
Arrabiata means angry in Italian and usually contains chilli peppers or powder in it. The spice in my dish, however, comes from the chorizo and paprika. You can use any pasta you like, but I like penne because it holds the sauce nicely within it.



Ingredients:
250g penne pasta
400g chopped tomatoes
1 medium brown onion, finely diced
1 red pepper, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp paprika
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
half of a chorizo ring, finely diced
A generous glug of good quality balsamic vinegar

Recipe:
Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan over a moderate heat and fry the onions for 7 mins until softened, then add the crushed garlic and fry for another minute. Pour in the balsamic and turn up the heat until the onions start to caramelize. Add the diced pepper and chorizo and fry for another 5 mins. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, paprika and parsley and lightly simmer, stirring frequently whilst you cook the pasta.


To cook the pasta, bring some salted water to the boil, add the pasta and boil for 9-12 mins depending on how you like your pasta. I like mine the traditional al dente, so I cook mine for 9 mins. Once the pasta is cooked, drain well in a colander and rinse with boiling water from the kettle. Add the tomato purée to the sauce and mix the pasta with the sauce. Sprinkle with cheese and serve with garlic bread and my home-made coleslaw with a punch!


3 comments:

  1. Do you not cook out the tomato puree? I tend to find it makes it slightly bitter if you don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, it does sound like I add it and immediately serve. I generally cook it for a couple of minutes until it has been fully incorporated. I don't use a huge amount of puree so it doesn't take long.

      Delete
    2. More importantly, why aren't you following me yet?!

      Delete